What's The Point
Baking with kids is one of the best ways to help kids learn basic math skills such as counting and measuring. They also get practice with sequencing as they follow step-by-step directions. This honey cake, a favorite of both Peg and Cat, also allows children to sharpen their patterning skills as they create strawberry, blueberry and banana patterns as the perfect topping for the cake.
There are three different ways to make Peg and Cat’s favorite honey cake – homemade from scratch, quick mix, and as a mini breakfast cake. The homemade ingredients and directions are listed below, but you can find all the different recipes for Peg and Cat’s Incredibly Popular Honey Cake
This Activity Will Help Your Child
- Measure by cups, tablespoons and teaspoons
- Create and recognize patterns
- Follow instructions
by Janet Stevens & Susan Stevens Crummel
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup butter (room temperature)
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon honey
Toppings: Strawberries, blueberries, bananas, or any other fruit you want!
How Do I Do It?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the sugar, brown sugar, and butter (room temperature) until it’s creamy.
- Add eggs to the mix one at a time, beating the mix after each egg.
- Mix in the vanilla and stir.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Mix in milk and honey.
- Spray a circular or rectangular pan with cooking spray. (Note: The pan can be square – squares are rectangles! An 8 x 8” or 9 x 9” works best. If you use a larger pan, reduce the baking time slightly.)
- Pour the mix into the pan.
- Bake your cake for 40 to 44 minutes. If you stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean, the cake is baked! Transfer your cake to a cooling rack and let it cool down.
Take It Further
Decorate your cake with sliced strawberries, sliced bananas and blueberries. As a healthy alternative to icing, use different kinds of fruit to create patterns on top of the cake. Try these pattern ideas.