|What you do for this ZOOMdo:
- You'll need to experiment with the balloons to make any shape piñata you want. These are directions for how to make a dog.
- First, blow up the balloons and tie them. The big balloon will be the dog's body; the smaller one will be the head.
- Then take masking tape and tape the smaller balloon on top of the larger balloon.
- Tape 4 cardboard tubes to the body to make legs. Cut two small pieces of cardboard and tape them onto the smaller balloon to make ears.
- Now to make the paste for the papier-maché. Mix 1 1/2 cups flour with 1 cup water until it looks like pancake batter. If it's still too thick, add more water.
- Rip some sheets of newspaper into small strips.
- Dip a newspaper strip into the paste and squeeze off the excess mixture. Lay the strip on the balloon. Cover your piñata with strips dipped in paste, slightly over-lapping each strip.
- Stuff the legs with newspaper and papier-maché over the ends. You need to do this so the candy won't fall out when you hang the piñata later!
- Cover your piñata completely with 3 layers of papier-maché.
- Let the piñata dry overnight. When it's dry, the paper will turn white.
- Next, cut a small flap in the top of your piñata. Pop the balloons and carefully poke 2 small holes on both sides of the flap.
- Thread a string through the holes. This is how you can hang your piñata.
- Now for the fun part, decorating your piñata. There are many different ways to decorate your piñata. You can make squiggles to look like confetti. You can then call your piñata, Party Pup.
- Fill the piñata with wrapped candies and small toys.
- You can also pour in confetti, which you can make yourself using a hole puncher and colored paper.
- Close the flap and there's your piñata.
- Hang it up high, blindfold your friends and have them take turns trying to hit it with a plastic whiffle-ball bat or broomstick. (Be careful that nobody gets hit with the bat!) When it breaks, everyone can scramble to get the goodies that are inside.