|What you do for this ZOOMdo:
- Blow up the balloon and with masking tape, tape the toilet paper tube to the bottom of the balloon.
- To make the features, like the eyes, nose, and ears, crumple newspaper into the shapes you want. Or, cut the features out of cardboard, then attach them to the balloon with masking tape.
- To make the paste for the papier-maché, mix 1 1/2 cups of flour with 1 1/2 cups of water until it looks like pancake batter. If it's still too thick, add more water.
- Dip a newspaper strip into the paste and squeeze off the excess mixture. Lay the strips on the balloon, slightly overlapping each strip.
- Cover the balloon and toilet paper tube with three layers of paper maché. It's a good idea to put a few extra layers where the balloon is attached to the toilet paper tube to make it really strong.
- Let it dry for a few days. When it's dry, the paper will turn white.
- Pop the balloon with a sharp pencil and pull the balloon out so you have room for your fingers. Now your puppet is ready to decorate.
- You can decorate your puppet any way you like. Make a body out of a piece of fabric or make glasses out of pipe cleaners. Now your puppet is ready to perform!