||ZOOM into Bloom Garden Cake
Here's what you will need to make it:
- 1 pound cake frosted with about 1 1/2 cups of chocolate frosting. (You can make the cake and frosting from scratch or use a store-bought cake and frosting.)
- 1 package of chocolate wafer cookies for the dirt
- 1 package of ladyfinger cookies for the fence
- gumdrops (various colors) for the flowers
- shredded coconut colored with green food coloring for the grass
- serving plate
- plastic baggie
Here's what you have to do:
1. Check with a grown-up before you start this.
2. Put your frosted cake on a large plate.
3. Press the ladyfingers onto all the sides of the frosted cake so they look like a fence.
4. Put the wafer cookies in a plastic baggie and smoosh them into small pieces to make them look like dirt. Sprinkle them on top of the cake.
5. To make the flowers and leaves, press the gumdrops with the back of a spoon until they're flat.
6. Cut the gumdrops so they look like tulips. To do this, start at one end of the gumdrop and cut a small "v." Leave some space in the middle, and then cut another small "v."
7. Next, shape some green gumdrops into oval shapes, so they look like leaves.
8. Now press your tulips onto the toothpicks and add them to your garden.
9. Sprinkle the green coconut around the cake to make grass.
10. Now you have your garden cake. Kara likes to give garden cakes to her teachers along with a sign that says, "Thanks for helping me grow."