Here's what you will need to make it:
- watermelon half
- honeydew melon
- cantaloupe pieces
- pineapple pieces
- red grapes
- cutting board
- large bowl
- large platter
- wooden skewers
Here's what you have to do:
1. Be sure to wash your hands and check with a grown-up before you begin.
2. Sometimes, you can buy a watermelon half at the store. If not, ask a grown-up to cut a whole watermelon in half for you.
3. Get a grown-up to help slice a small piece from the watermelon. You will use the rind from this piece to be the mouth. Cut out the pink watermelon part and just keep the rind.
4. Use a melon-baller to scoop out the fruit from the watermelon half.
5. Put the hollow side of the watermelon rind down on a big platter. This will be the head.
6. Cut the green stems off of 2 strawberries. Cut 1 of the strawberries into 3 slices cross-wise.
7. Stick a toothpick into the watermelon rind where you want the eye to go. It helps if you poke the holes with a toothpick before attaching the fruit. Put one of the strawberry slices and a blueberry on the end of the toothpick. Do the same thing for the other eye.
8. Put a toothpick where you want the nose to go, and then attach the end of the strawberry to the end of the toothpick.
9. Use 2 toothpicks to attach the watermelon rind where you want the mouth.
10. Watermelon Guy's hair is made out of small pieces of fruit on wooden skewers. The ZOOMers used pieces of honeydew melon, cantaloupe, pineapple, red grapes, blueberries, strawberries, and watermelon balls. You can use any kind of fruit you like. You need 15 to 20 fruit skewers.
11. Stick the skewers into the top of the watermelon in any pattern you want. The skewers are sharp, so ask a grown-up to help with this part. It's easier if you poke holes in the rind first before you put in the skewers.