||Stained Glass Cookies
Here's what you will need to make it:
- a stick of butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- an egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- hard candies in different colors
Here's what you have to do:
1. Check with a grown-up before you start this.
2. First, we'll make the dough. Cream a stick of butter.
3. Add the light brown sugar and beat until fluffy.
4. Add the egg and vanilla and mix.
5. Add the milk and mix.
6. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
7. Add these dry ingredients to the mixture and blend everything together.
8. Now, gather the dough in your hands and form it into a ball.
9. Put the dough in the refrigerator to chill so it won't be so sticky.
10. When that's done, roll the dough into 1/4 inch strips.
11. Then make window frame designs with the dough on a cookie sheet.
12. Next, we're going to make the stained glass.
13. Separate the hard candies according to color and put each group into separate plastic bags.
14. Using a rolling pin, crush the hard candies into pieces but make sure you don't crush them too much. They shouldn't get powdery.
15. Fill the designs with the crushed candy.
16. Then bake in a pre-heated oven at 300 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
17. When they're done, take the cookies out of the oven.
18. Let them cool for about 15 minutes.
19. Bon Appetit. You can eat them, or maybe even use them as Christmas ornaments.