Here's what you will need to make it:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) margarine, softened and cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- different colors of food coloring
- large bowl
- mixing spoon
- small bowls
Here's what you have to do:
1. Check with a grown-up before you begin.
2. Wash your hands.
3. Put 3 cups of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup of corn syrup, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 stick of margarine, softened and cut into pieces, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract into a large bowl.
4. Mix these ingredients together until the dough doesn't feel sticky. You may need to add more powdered sugar to make it less sticky - from 1/4 to 1/3 cup - but add it slowly and stop when the dough feels dry.
5. Divide the dough into little balls and put each ball into a separate bowl.
6. Add a few drops of food coloring to each bowl. Make the dough in each bowl a different color.
7. Mix the food coloring into the dough with a spoon so you don't stain your hands. Once the food coloring starts to blend in, use your hands to really smush it in.
8. Now sculpt your craziest creations out of the candy clay. You can use them to decorate cakes or cookies, but be sure to eat them pretty soon after you make them. Candy clay sculptures turn into candy rock sculptures after a while!