Here's what you will need to make it:
- two toasted Italian bread slices
- cherry tomatoes
- chopped basil leaves
- olive oil
- butter knife
Here's what you have to do:
1. Check with a grown-up before you start this.
2. Bruschetta comes from an Italian word that means, ̉to toast."
3. A soft white bread like Italian or French bread works best for making Bruschetta. Slice your bread into small slices and then toast in the toaster or oven until it's lightly toasted. Be careful not to burn it!
4. Peel and chop a clove of garlic. The easiest way to peel a clove of garlic is to crush it with the side of a dull knife. Then the skin should peel right off.
5. Cut garlic clove in half and then rub it on the warm toast. Or, you can mince it and sprinkle it on top. If you sprinkle it on top, it will be a lot stronger.
6. Cut up some cherry tomatoes.
7. Mix in about a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
8. Now add some chopped basil leaves. Basil leaves look like this and you can find them in the same aisle as lettuce at the grocery store. You can also use dried basil. It comes in a little bottle and you can find it in the spice aisle at the grocery store.
9. Spread tomato mixture on bread and drizzle on a little olive oil. What's the best way to drizzle? Pour small amount of olive oil into small bowl and use a fork.
10. Dig in!