||Bread in a Bag
Here's what you will need to make it:
- 2 cups white flour (and a little extra for kneading)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 package rapid rise yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- gallon size resealable plastic baggie
- greased loaf pan
- plastic wrap
- oven mitt
Here's what you have to do:
1. Check with a grown-up before you start this.
2. First, wash your hands.
3. Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. If you're not allowed to use an oven, make sure to ask an adult to help you.
4. Mix 1 cup of white flour, the packet of yeast, 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 cup hot water in the sealable plastic bag.
5. Let most of the air out of the bag, close it, and smoosh the bag with your fingers to mix the ingredients.
6. After about 10 minutes, the mixture will start to bubble as the yeast makes carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide produced by the yeast will make bubbles in the bread dough, making it bigger and fluffier. The bag will also expand.
7. While you're waiting for the yeast mixture to bubble, in a separate bowl, mix together 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk, 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 1 tablespoon of salt, and 3 tablespoons of oil.
8. Open the bag and add the ingredients.
9. Let most of the air out of the bag, seal it closed and smoosh the bag some more to mix everything together until it's pretty smooth.
10. Open the bag and add the other cup of white flour.
11. Reseal the bag and smoosh again until smooth, about one to two minutes.
12. Take the dough out of the bag and knead it for another minute on a floured surface. You might have to put some extra flour on your hands. Kneading makes the dough stretchy so it keeps its shape and gets a nice chewy texture.
13. When the dough looks smooth and kind of stretchy, it shouldn't stick to your hands anymore.
14. Now put the dough into a greased loaf pan, cover it loosely with plastic wrap and let it rise for about 30 minutes.
15. When the dough has risen, put it in the oven. Be sure to remove the plastic wrap.
16. After about 35 minutes, it should look golden brown.
17. Use an oven mitt to take it out of the oven and let it cool.
18. Bon Appetit!