Here's what you will need to make it:
- 2 1/4 cups of water
- 2 cups yellow or white corn meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- grated Monterey Jack cheese
- ham slices
- large mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- cookie sheet
- oven mitts
Here's what you have to do:
1. Check with a grown-up and wash your hands before you begin.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. If you're not allowed to use an oven, ask an adult to help you.
3. Pour water in a bowl. Add corn meal and salt. Mix it together. It should be a little watery. If it's too dry, you can add more water.
4. Mix the dough in the bowl until there are no lumps. Now, let the dough sit in the bowl for about two minutes to allow the corn meal to soak up the water.
5. After about two minutes, mix the dough some more.
6. Take a small amount of the dough and pack it in your hands to form a ball.
7. Place the ball on a cookie sheet. Use the palm of your hand to flatten it so it looks like a pancake.
8. Put the cookie sheet into the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until your arepas are crispy around the edges.
9. Put on your oven mitts and then take the cookie sheet out of the oven. Be careful because it will be very hot!
10. Ask an adult to help you with this next part. Spread some butter on the warm arepas, add a piece of ham, and sprinkle on some cheese. Now put on your oven mitts again, and put your arepas back in the oven for about a minute, or until the cheese is melted. Buen Provecho!