Here's what you will need to make it:
- 1 package refrigerated pre-made pie crusts (you will need two crusts - for the top and bottom of the pie)
- 8 medium Cortland apples (or your favorite kind)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- vegetable peeler
- large bowl
- pie plate
- 3 narrow strips of aluminum foil
- baking sheet
- oven mitts
Here's what you have to do:
1. Ask a grown-up for help before you begin. You'll be using a knife and an oven for this recipe.
2. Wash your hands.
3. Put on oven mitts to place the oven rack in the center position. Then pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Get help from an adult if you're not allowed to use the oven.
4. Unfold the pre-made pie crusts and place on a big plate.
5. Peel and slice 8 Cortland apples into a large bowl. If you can't find Cortland apples, any medium-sized apples will work. If you're not allowed to use a sharp knife, ask a grown-up to help you slice the apples.
6. Pour 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon over the apples. Add 1 tablespoon of flour to make the filling thicker.
7. Mix everything together with your hands. Then leave the mixture in the bowl for 5 minutes.
8. Put the bottom crust in a pie plate. Make sure it's centered. Sprinkle it with a little bit of flour.
9. Pour the apple mixture into the crust and sprinkle a little more flour over the apples.
10. Cover the apples with the top piece of piecrust.
11. Fold the edges of the bottom crust up over the top crust and pinch together to seal.
12. Poke 3 sets of 2 "V-shaped" slits into the crust. These slits are vents so steam can come out.
13. Wrap 3 narrow strips of aluminum foil around the edge of the pie. This keeps the crust from browning too fast.
14. Put the pie on a baking sheet, put on oven mitts, and place the baking sheet in the oven. Bake the pie for 25 minutes.
15. Put on oven mitts to pull the pie out of the oven and remove the strips of aluminum foil. The pie will be very hot, so you might want to ask a grown-up for help with this.
16. Put on oven mitts again and place the pie back in the oven. Bake it for another 15 minutes - until the crust is golden brown.
17. Put on oven mitts to take the pie out of the oven. Let it cool, then...the rest is as easy as pie!