This easy-to-use tutorial is designed for SUPER WHY Reading Camp teachers and assistants. It will walk you through some of the key activities in a Reading Camp and offer you practical techniques for:
- understanding the early literacy goal set for each day.
- getting prepared—the key to Reading Camp success.
- keeping all children actively engaged in interactive learning.
- meeting each child at his or her reading skill level.
- keeping the sessions engaging and upbeat.
Along the way, there will be lots of “teacher-to-teacher” tips from veteran Reading Camp leaders—ideas that you can try out in your own Reading Camp sessions!
⇒ NEXT: Set Goals
- Set Goals. Start with a self-evaluation survey to assess your strengths as a Reading Camp leader and identify skills you want to work on.
- Learn to Lead by participating in the interactive tutorial. You’ll watch a series of short, narrated slideshows that offer “snapshots” of an experienced teacher leading a group of SUPER WHY campers. We start with an Introduction and Overview of the sequence of activities in a Reading Camp day, then spotlight four key features: Preparation, Interactive Viewing, a SUPER WHY Craft Activity and a SUPER WHY Game. After watching each slideshow, we’ll do a quick review and share valuable “teacher-to-teacher” advice offered by veteran Reading Camp leaders. We’ve provided a Learning Log so you can jot down responses to questions and reflect on how to apply what you have learned to your own Reading Camp.
- Try It Out! This is your chance to practice what you’ve learned. Choose a SUPER WHY activity to do with a group of kids. Gather the materials, read the instructions, and give it a try!
- Check Your Progress. How did it go? Assess your progress with a second self-evaluation.
- Get Resources and continue to build your SUPER WHY Reading Camp knowledge and expertise.