Race to Save Water
What Is This Video?
Kiana, Kaya, and Kalea have a challenge for their friends Elizabeth and Phillip: which family can save the most water in a week? Find out how both teams record water use and learn about strategies for conserving water in your own home.
- How much water do you think you use in a week? How much do you think your family uses in a week? Is it more or less than the families in the video?
- The challenge in this video focused only on water usage in the bathroom. Where else around your home do you use water? How do you use it? Can you think of ways to use less of it?
- What are some strategies you might use for conserving water in your home?
- Do you have any water-saving appliances, such as low-flow showerheads, faucet aerators or dual-flush toilets?
- Why is it important to conserve water?
Explore Some More
Water, Water, Everywhere
Carry out your own weeklong water conservation challenge with another family or group of friends. Identify the location or locations in your home where you will keep track of your water usage, such as the bathroom, kitchen or laundry are. Find out how much water your appliances, such as a washing machine, use, then develop a method for tracking how much water each member of your household uses. Check in at the end of the week to find out which team used the least water! Can you also determine which appliances in your house use the most water? For more tips on how you can use less water in and around your home, check out the Environmental Protection Agency's Conserving Waterresource.