Oliver Takes Out the Trash
What Is This Video?
Oliver isn't very happy to see that someone threw trash in the river–and he sure is embarrassed when he learns it's his trash! But how did it get there?
- Oliver is upset when he sees trash floating in the river. Have you ever seen trash in a place that was special to you? How did it make you feel?
- How do you think trash gets into rivers and other waterways?
- Where does trash go when you throw it away? Is there an "away"?
- Do you recycle things like plastic, paper, and cans?
- Do you know why you recycle these items instead of throwing them in the trash?
- What happens at a recycling facility?
Explore Some More
Hash Out Your Trash
Oliver found trash in a river in Belize–a place where trash doesn't belong. Have you seen trash in your community in places where it doesn't belong? Spend a week photographing and collecting data about places where you see litter or garbage lying in the open. Use a chart to keep track of what type of trash each item is: a plastic bottle, paper cup, bottle cap, soda can, or something else. At the end of the week, review your notes. What is the most common type of trash you found? Least common? Are any locations more likely to contain trash than others? Then, for each type of trash you identified, consider where you think this trash will wind up.