Veggie Alphabet Soup
Homemade soup always hits the spot, but Alphabet soup? Even better!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 celery rib, sliced thin
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large tomato, seeds removed and chopped into small pieces
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 small yellow summer squash, chopped into ½-
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut into ½-inc
- 6 ounces small alphabet pasta
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When hot, add the carrots, onion, and celery, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, tomato, and thyme, and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the summer squash, green beans, and pasta, and cook until the vegetables and pasta are tender, about 6 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs, add the parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.