Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
This recipe is for the perfect, creamiest and most delicious butternut squash soup you could ask for!
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded and c
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs thyme
- ½ cup low fat sour cream
1. With the oven rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the squash with two tablespoons of the oil and arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, until the squash cubes are golden and easily pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes.
2. While the squash cubes are roasting, heat a large saucepan over medium-low heat; once hot, add the oil. Add the onion, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until the onion is caramelized and soft, about 20 minutes. Add the chicken broth, thyme, and roasted squash cubes to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes to allow the flavors blend.
3. Remove the thyme and carefully puree the soup in small batches in a blender until smooth. Stir in the sour cream. Serve.