Pasta with Tomato Sauce
It can be a lot of fun to make your own homemade tomato sauce. This recipe is easy to follow and very yummy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into small dice
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound dried pasta (any shape is fine)
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. To make the sauce: Heat a 12- skillet over medium heat; once hot, add the oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, zucchini, and dried basil and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until the sauce thickens slightly and the flavors meld, about 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and divide equally among 6 bowls. Top each bowl with the tomato sauce, and sprinkle with the fresh basil. Serve with fresh Parmesan cheese if desired.