This recipe is fun and different. These chickpea cakes are very tasty and will be gobbled up fast!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
1. With the oven rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with a light coating of nonstick cooking spray.
2. Heat an 8-inch skillet over medium heat; once hot, add the oil. Add the onion and cook until soft and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, garlic, cumin, and coriander, and cook until all the liquid in the skillet has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes longer. Remove from the heat, and let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
3. Pulse the chickpeas, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a food processor until the chickpeas are coarsely ground. Add the breadcrumbs, egg, and onion mixture and pulse until well combined.
4. Shape the chickpea mixture into 6 patties (about 1/3 cup mixture per patty), and place on the prepared baking sheet. Spray each patty with a light coating of the nonstick cooking spray. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10 minutes, then flip and spray the second side of the cakes. Return to the oven and bake until the cakes are light golden brown, about 5 minutes longer. Serve.