Black Bean Burritos
This burrito recipe is tasty, healthy, and will give you the energy you need to keep going strong!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 plum tomato, coarsely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1(16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- kosher salt
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup chooked brown rice
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, about 2 ounces
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup salsa
1. To make the beans: Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat; once hot, add the oil. Add the onion, tomato, bell pepper garlic and cook until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes. Add the cumin and cayenne, and cook 2 minutes. Add the beans and 1 cup water and cook until the beans are very soft, about 30 minutes. (If necessary add more water.) Season with salt to taste.
2. To assemble the burritos: Microwave the tortillas until soft, about 20 seconds. Transfer to a flat surface and top each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of beans, 1/4 cup of rice, 2 tablespoons cheese, 1/4 of the avocado, and 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped cilantro. Fold the edges of the tortilla over the filling like an envelope, and roll. Garnish with the salsa, and serve.