Parmesan Baked Cod Sticks
Ditch the frozen fish sticks. Here is a healthy alternative for homemade baked cod sticks!
- 3 slices whole wheat sandwich bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pound cod, cut into 3-inch x 1-inch strips
1. With the oven rack in the middle position, heat the oven to 300 degrees. Pulse the bread in a food processor until ground into coarse crumbs. Bake the bread crumbs on a rimmed baking sheet until dry and just starting to turn golden, about 20 minutes. Allow the crumbs to cool.
2. Turn the oven up to 425 degrees. Set a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet and spray lightly with nonstick spray. Transfer the cooled crumbs to a shallow baking dish and stir in the Parmesan and pepper. In a separate dish, stir together the mayonnaise and mustard. Blot the cod dry with paper towels then brush each piece with a light coating of the mayonnaise mixture (about ½ teaspoon per piece of fish). Press the fish pieces into the crumbs, and space evenly on the prepared rack
3. Spray the fish lightly with nonstick spray, and bake until the pieces are golden and the fish is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve.