Sweet Potato and Apple Mash
We all love mashed potatoes, especially around the holidays. This recipe puts a fun twist on your usual mashed with some sweet potatoes!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch round
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium Golden Delicious Apples, peeled, cored and cut into &fr
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
1. Place the sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes, return them to the pot, cover, and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, heat a 10 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat; once hot, add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the apples, onion, rosemary, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture is caramelized and the apples are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Add the apple mixture to the cooked sweet potatoes along with the remaining tablespoon of oil, remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt, butter, and pepper, and coarsely mash with a potato masher or whisk. (The mixture should remain somewhat chunky.) Serve.