Shrimp Spring Rolls
DescriptionThese spring rolls are so fun to make, and after all of your work you get to enjoy one tasty snack!
Ingredients• ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
• 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
• ¼ cup packed mint leaves, very coarsely chopp
• ¼ cup packed cilantro leaves, very coarsely
• 4 ounces thin Asian rice noodles (AKA rice vermicelli)
• 12 (9-inch) rice paper spring roll wrappers
• 1 large carrot, grated on large holes of box grater
• 36 each cooked peeled and deveined 51/60 shrimp (about 8 ounces)
Directions1. Combine the soy sauce and ginger in a small bowl and set aside. Mix the herbs together in another small bowl and set aside. Cook the rice noodles in a pot of boiling water until tender, then drain thoroughly. You should have about 1 ½ cups of cooked noodles.
2. Fill a large bowl with hot tap water. Working one at a time, submerge a spring roll wrapper in the water for 3 seconds, or until thoroughly wet. Transfer the wrapper to a cutting board and lay it flat (the wrapper will soften as it sits). Working in the lower third of the wrapper, sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of the herb mixture on the wrapper, leaving a 1-inch edge on either side. Add about 2 teaspoons of grated carrot, followed by about 2 tablespoons of noodles, and finally 3 individual shrimp. Drizzle the filling with 1 teaspoon of the soy mixture.
3. Fold the bottom of the wrapper over the filling once, then fold the sides over so they enclose the ends. Finally roll the spring roll the rest of the way up, and transfer to a platter, seem side down, and cover with plastic wrap while repeating with the remaining wrappers and ingredients. Serve.