Black Bean Burritos
DescriptionThis burrito recipe is tasty, healthy, and will give you the energy you need to keep going strong!
Beans• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 plum tomato, coarsely chopped
• ½ red bell pepper, diced
• 2 garlic cloves, pressed or finely chopped
• ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
• 1(16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 cup water
• kosher salt
Burrito• 4 whole wheat tortillas
• 1 cup chooked brown rice
• ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, about 2 ounces
• 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
• ½ cup salsa
Directions1. To make the beans: Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat; once hot, add the oil. Add the onion, tomato, bell pepper garlic and cook until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes. Add the cumin and cayenne, and cook 2 minutes. Add the beans and 1 cup water and cook until the beans are very soft, about 30 minutes. (If necessary add more water.) Season with salt to taste.
2. To assemble the burritos: Microwave the tortillas until soft, about 20 seconds. Transfer to a flat surface and top each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of beans, 1/4 cup of rice, 2 tablespoons cheese, 1/4 of the avocado, and 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped cilantro. Fold the edges of the tortilla over the filling like an envelope, and roll. Garnish with the salsa, and serve.