This teaching unit for Joseph Had a Little Overcoat is specially designed for teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing. We recommend you follow the steps below, familiarizing yourself with all the available resources before beginning to teach.
Joseph Had a Little Overcoat is based on the book Joseph Had a Little Overcoat by Simms Taback. This unit deals with all aspects of the story, from the vocabulary used to the concepts of old, nothing, and something.
- First, read the learning objectives for this unit. This will give you an in-depth look at the curriculum.
- Download the Lesson Guide (225K PDF file). If you have not already done so for another unit, also download the general Teaching Strategies (80K PDF file) and Assessment Strategies (300K PDF file). These will be your main guides through the teaching unit.
- During teaching, make use of the:
- Printable teacher resources (worksheets, games, and writing activities)
- Six versions of the story
- Five online games adapted specially for this teaching unit
- The rest of the Between the Lions Web site has other resources.