Here are some words and concepts that will be covered in Lesson Two of the downloadable Lesson Guide (446K PDF file).
Piece of: part of a whole, or one of a bunch
Cheese: a food made from milk and formed into a solid block
- Things that can come in pieces include pizza, candy, cake, paper, puzzles, tape, and chalk.
- A related phrase is "piece of cake," meaning "easy."
Smell: To use the senses in your nose to identify something's odor; the sense of smell
- Kinds of cheese include American, Swiss, jack, parmesan, and cheddar.
- Many foods are made with cheese, such as macaroni and cheese, pizza, cheeseburgers, and cheesecake.
- A related phrase is "say cheese," meaning "to smile."
- Compound words include cheeseburger and cheesecake.
Tasty: a word to describe food that tastes good
- In the story, the cheese is tasty smelling.
- Foods and other things can smell nice or bad; these foods don't do the smelling, but we say that they "smell" a certain way.
- Many things smell good or bad, such as perfume, a cake in the oven, cut grass, fish, or a skunk.
- If you say that something smells, you mean that it smells bad.
Delicious: a word to describe food that tastes good
- A synonym for "tasty" is "yummy."
- Taste is one of the five senses: the sense of taste.
- To taste something means to put a little bit of food into the mouth and experience its flavor.
- Comparatively, "delicious" is more emphatic than "tasty."