JOKES ON YOU (Episode P123b)
It's Wacky Wednesday at school. Emily Elizabeth and her friends are excited to spend the day telling jokes and having fun. Nina, however, goes too far with the day. In the end she realizes that her behavior wasn't respectful of her friends and that there is an appropriate time and place for certain behaviors.
Ideas to Grow On: Have Respect
Children have a great sense of humor…and joking around is lots of fun, unless feelings become hurt. Helping children become aware of what's respectful and what's not respectful while sharing humor can help friends better appreciate one another's differences and feelings. The following activities nurture:
- social and emotional skills
- language and literacy skills
- understanding and appreciating diversity skills
- physical and emotional skills
Belly of Laughs
Jokes can be so much fun, as long as they don't hurt someone else's feelings. Practice these silly kid jokes with your child for a belly of laughs!
- What kind of keys do kids like to carry? Coo-kies!
- What kind of bow is hardest to tie? Rainbow!
- Knock, knock. Who's there? Ima. Ima who? Ima gonna tickle
- What did the dog say when he sat down on the sandpaper? Rufffff!
- Why doesn't a hummingbird sing? He doesn't know the
- Why do birds fly south for the winter? It's too far to walk!
- What animal carries an umbrella? A Raindeer!
- Why don't elephants like to play cards in the jungle? Too many cheetahs!
- What do you doctor a pig's rash with? Oinkment, of course!
- What do you call a pig that is an expert at karate? One good pork chop!
Silly Fun in the Sun!
Have your child invite a friend to play outside. Bathing suits only, and don't forget to lather up with sunscreen and wear sunglasses before heading outside to enjoy these silly ideas:
- Create bubbles by adding bubble bath or "no tear" shampoo to shallow play pool with a strong spray from the water hose
- Dance like there's no tomorrow in the sprinkler.
- Have a chase with silly string.
- Paint the world with shaving cream.
- Bathe, dry, and groom a pet.
- Catch butterflies, collect bugs, climb trees!
- Discover fascinating clouds of rabbits, boats, dogs, and flowers floating by in the sky.
Find more fun examples of playing around with friends by reading:
The Dog Who Cried Wolf (Clifford) by Bob Barkly, Norman Bridwell (Cartwheel)
Kids' Silliest Jokes by Jacqueline Horsfall (Sterling Publications)