Visit my blog about Santiago, Chile
These empanadas aren't as giant as the one I ate in Chile, but they're flakey, delicious, and easy to make!
This recipe uses an oven and a knife. So check with a grown up before you get started.
- Check with a grownup and wash your hands before you begin.
- Turn on the oven to 400 degrees so it can get hot while you prepare the ingredients.
- To make the empanada filling, mix all ingredients (except pie crust, flour, and water) in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Tear off two pieces of wax paper, then use tape to attach the pieces to a table or countertop. Make sure to overlap them to make one big work area. Sprinkle a little flour on the paper (this will keep the crust from sticking to the paper.)
- Put one piece of the pie crust (top or bottom) on the wax paper. Use the rolling pin to roll the crust out to a bigger size, about 15 inches across.
- To make the empanada wrappers, you need to cut four 6-inch circles from the crust. You can do this by marking (but not cutting) four equal pieces onto the crust, with one line UP AND DOWN the middle, and one line ACROSS the middle. Then use the knife to cut out one 6-inch circle from each section.
- Repeat steps 5-6 with the other piece of pie crust from the package. When you're all done, you will have EIGHT 6-inch crust circles.
- Now it's time to fill your empanadas! Place 2 tablespoons of the filling in the middle of a crust circle. Then wet your fingers with the water and moisten the entire edge of the crust. Bring one side of the crust up and over the filling until it reaches the other edge of the crust, making a half-moon shape with the filling inside.
- Then, using the fork, press down along the whole edge to seal the filling inside, and make a decorative edge.
- Repeat steps 8-9 until all eight crusts are filled.
- Place all eight empanadas on the lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Use oven mitts to put the tray of empanadas in the oven. Bake for about 15 minutes, until golden brown. Use oven mitts to take the tray of empanadas out of the oven. Put the hot cookie sheet on something that will protect the counter. (Remember to turn off the oven!)
- Using the spatula and oven mitts, carefully move all the empanadas onto the serving plate. Serve, and enjoy!
- And remember: clean up the kitchen when you're done.