Games & Activities
Be a Cat, Be a Tree
- Start on your hands and knees.
- Look up. Curve your shoulders up.
- Hold the stretch for three counts as you purr like a happy cat.
- Now look down at the floor and arch your back up.
- Hold the stretch for three counts as you hiss and growl like an angry cat.
- Stand on one leg. This is the tree trunk.
- Place the other foot at the knee of your standing leg.
- Now raise your arms high above your head, with the fingers touching.
- Count slowly to five as you imagine the sun shining down on you.
- (Note: Children who have trouble balancing can stand on two feet or lean against a wall.)
Take it further
Supervise your children as they create simple gymnastic routines using tumbling mats, a pretend balance beam (a strip of paper taped to the floor), and music.