Tips for Grown-ups
Help kids take control.
If children understand what causes asthma and what they can do to manage it, they will feel less anxious and better prepared. Help your child to:
- Understand their Asthma Treatment Plan.
- Take their daily medicine. Controller medications help children have fewer and milder attacks.
- Use a spray inhaler when needed. Quick relief medications control the symptoms of an asthma attack.
- Take additional medicine before activities that might trigger asthma attacks (such as exercising or cold weather), as directed by your doctor.
- Learn about triggers and how to avoid them.
- Practice speaking up in order to avoid a situation that may cause an asthma attack.
- Use their peak flow meter to check their breathing.