Tips for Grown-ups
Know the asthma "triggers."
Asthma attacks can be caused by many things. Once you and your child know these "triggers," you can find ways to avoid them.
- Avoid exposing children to secondhand smoke.
- Vacuum often to get rid of dust and dust mites (tiny bugs that live in ordinary dust).
- Wash sheets, blankets, and stuffed toys often to help keep dust mites away.
- Keep pets off furniture and out of rooms where kids sleep.
- Keep things clean and dry around the house to stop mold and mildew from growing.
- Remove house plants, which may trigger asthma or contain mold.
- Clean up crumbs and spilled food to keep insects, such as cockroaches, away.
- Allergies (like hay fever) may set off asthma, so make sure kids take their anti-allergy meds.
- Have your child avoid cleaning products, perfume, or other strong smells and pollution (like car fumes).